The Lunenburg Public Library is supported by the taxes of the people of Lunenburg and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, who expect our facility to be a clean, comfortable, and safe place for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing, and attending Library or community sponsored programs and meetings. The library staff strives to maintain a safe and friendly environment for all. To this end, the Library is responsible for establishing rules of conduct to protect the rights and safety of Library patrons, volunteers and staff, and for preserving and protecting the Library’s materials, equipment, facilities and grounds. Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner. Library staff will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors and seek police assistance if necessary. Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules, regulations, and policies could result in removal from the premises by staff for a period of one day to indefinitely, or in arrest or prosecution. Violations could also result in the restriction or termination of Library privileges, including the use of Library computers and other equipment. Please be aware all bags and other articles are subject to inspection by authorized personnel. The Library reserves the right to limit the size and number of items brought into the Library. The Children’s Room is reserved for use by children, their parents or guardians. The Story and Craft Room can be used for other functions or programs. The Teen Room, and the equipment therein, is reserved for use by teens and tweens in grades six through twelve. Use of this room may be arranged pending approval by the Library Director.
The following are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:
- Engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law or Library policies.
- Carrying firearms or dangerous weapons of any type, except by law enforcement officers.
- Using, possessing, selling, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs smoking, chewing, using tobacco products, or using e-cigarettes.
- Threatening or harassing other patrons, volunteers, or staff either verbally, physically, or via electronic communication.
- Stealing, damaging, altering, or other inappropriate use of Library property.
- Trespassing in nonpublic areas, being in the Library without permission of an authorized Library employee before or after Library operating hours, or camping.
- Fighting or challenging to fight, running, pushing, shoving, or throwing things.
- Creating disruptive noises such as loud talking, screaming, or banging on the computer keyboards.
- Using audible devices without headphones, or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others
- Using cell phones, pagers, and other communication devices in a manner that disturbs others; cell phone and pager audible ringers must be turned off.
- Entering the Library barefooted, without a shirt, with offensive body odor, or personal hygiene.
- Eating and/or drinking, except in designated areas or at authorized events.
- Cleats within the library.
- Pan-handling, soliciting, or loitering.
- Gambling and group activities, which are disruptive to the Library environment.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals into the Library, except as authorized by the Director, or those used during library events.
- Lying down or sleeping.
- Using bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, or similar recreational equipment in the Library, parking areas, or sidewalks.
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage, or any other personal items unattended. The Library is neither responsible nor liable for lost or misplaced items.
Revised and approved by the Board of Trustees on September 19, 2019.