The Lunenburg Public Library is supported by the taxes of the people of Lunenburg and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts who expect our facility to be a clean, comfortable, and safe place for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing and attending Library or community sponsored programs and meetings. To this end, the Library is responsible for establishing rules of conduct to protect the rights and safety of Library patrons, volunteers and staff and for preserving and protecting the Library’s materials, equipment, facilities and grounds.
For the comfort and safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff, and the protection of Library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:
- engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law or Library policies
- carrying firearms or dangerous weapons of any type (except by law enforcement officers)
- being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs and/or selling, using or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs
- threatening or harassing other patrons, volunteers or staff either verbally, physically or via email
- stealing, damaging, altering or inappropriate use of Library property including furniture, computer hardware and software, printers, copiers, phones and other equipment
- trespassing in nonpublic areas, being in the Library without permission of an authorized Library employee before or after Library operating hours or camping
- fighting or challenging to fight, running, pushing, shoving or throwing things
- creating disruptive noises such as loud talking, screaming or banging on the computer keyboards
- gambling and group activities which are disruptive to the Library environment
- using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others
- using cell phones, pagers and other communication devices in a manner that disturbs others; cell phone and pager audible ringers must be turned off
- smoking, chewing and other tobacco use
- entering the Library barefooted, without a shirt, with offensive body odor or personal hygiene so as to be disruptive to the Library environment.
- eating and/or drinking, except in designated areas or at authorized events
- cleats within the library
- neglecting to provide proper supervision of children (See Safe Child Policy)
- bringing pets or animals, other than service animals into the Library, except as authorized by the Director, or those used during library events
- lying down or sleeping (except during authorized library events)
The Children’s Room is reserved for use by children, their parents or guardians. The Story/Craft Room can be used for other functions or programs. (See Meeting Room Use Policy)
All bags and other articles are subject to inspection by authorized personnel. The Library reserves the right to limit the size and number of items brought into the Library. The Library is neither responsible nor liable for lost or misplaced items.
Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner. Library staff will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules, regulations, and policies could result in removal from the premises by staff and/or police and expulsion from the Library for a period of one day to one year, or in arrest or prosecution. Violations could also result in the restriction and/or termination of Library privileges, including the use of Library computers and other equipment.